Salsa Chainrings

Salsa Cycles may be best known for their chromoly stems and various frames, but they also make a fairly deep line of components and accessories. As far as I’m concerned, they make some of the finest no-frills replacement chainrings around. For a number of years now I’ve used Salsa rings on most of my singlespeed bikes, and a quick count shows a half-dozen of them currently in service on one bicycle or another.

Due to their lack of ramps, pins or cut down teeth, these rings are best left for singlespeed drivetrains though one can certainly shift across them just not as quickly or smoothly as ramped and pinned varieties. The rings are cnc machined from 7075-T6 aluminum to apparently very tight tolerances, as I’ve always found Salsa rings to be round with a proper fit on chainring spiders yielding consistent chain tension. After countless miles I’ve not had a ring warp and can’t say I’ve otherwise found a flaw in a Salsa chainring.

Available in most common road and mountain bolt patterns and tooth counts for less then $30 at just about every bike shop in the land, these rings make a solid choice for revamping a drivetrain.

1. JonoMay 26, 2008 at 12:22 am

Ordered some of these through QBP for the first time last week, good to hear a positive review!

2. nickMay 26, 2008 at 12:32 pm

oh man, salsa rings are the f***en bomb! i ran those before i bought my sugino 75 crankset, and they are absolutely bullet proof. amazing. good to hear some voice here. UV all the way.

3. JoshMay 26, 2008 at 11:10 pm

I love good salsa, and Salsa parts.

4. DarylJune 12, 2008 at 5:50 am

I bought a rampless singlespeed ring for my fixie. The ring as ovalized the day I got it. When the tight spot is perfect, the loose spot is way too loose. salsa was easy to deal with, they told my i could return it no probs.

5. Frye's speedbikeJuly 30, 2008 at 8:33 am

Yes, i love my Salsa ring, thats right single, but its on a “speedbike” i built up.

56 tooth Salsa ring, on some old Shimano arms, on a 93′ Trek 1100, Easton 70 carbon fork, flat bars, down tube shifter, Giant/JoyTech fat spoke wheels, with a 11-32 rear cassette, this bike does know slow.

I bought the ring from a friend who said “it didnt shift well, and it was too big for him”, i told him to “grow up” and got for next to nothing.

Seems to be kickin ass, chain falls of once in a blue moon, but i blame Denver’s DOT for pot holes.

6. peterNovember 7, 2008 at 7:11 pm

I replaced the 38t ring that came on my ’07 Fisher Cronus 9-speed with a Salsa 48. I love gettin’ out on the road and lettin’ the big dog eat.

7. EricJanuary 6, 2010 at 5:56 pm

I have a Salsa 32 ring on my Jamis 2×8 setup. The ring works great.

8. MichaelJanuary 21, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Hi,

Can someone tell me how thick the current Salsa chainrings are at their thickest point. Also, I would like to know if the bolt holes, especially on the Inner chainring, have a recess for the head of the bolt.

Thanks in advance!