Velocity Rims to be made in the USA

From Velocity: Brothers and partners, Tom and John Black will begin manufacturing rims in Jacksonville, Florida in February 2012. Currently, all Velocity rims are made in Australia, and production will cease in Brisbane by the end of November.

Tom Black, the founder of Velocity, will be relocating from Australia to Florida where he will continue to oversee rim production at Velocity’s new manufacturing factory. Velocity’s distribution center will continue to operate out of Grand Rapids, Michigan as it has since 1992 and become their worldwide headquarters; with the Australian facility remaining as a distribution center for the Asian and Australian markets.

Velocity will be the only U.S. produced aluminum rim in the cycling industry. John Black, president of Velocity Worldwide, Inc., anticipates this to further propel the company as a leader in quality, ingenuity and customization customers have come to love and expect from Velocity.

More information to follow at www.velocityusa.com.

About Urban Jeff

I'm about to have a nervous breakdown, my head really hurts. Contact me.

View all posts by Urban Jeff →

1. PaulNovember 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Jobs coming BACK to America! Thank you Mr. Black! (and great rims, love mine….)

2. irishneloNovember 7, 2011 at 9:57 pm

shit yeah! I was just getting ready to build a new wheel set! I’ll be waiting!

3. sssteeeeveNovember 8, 2011 at 8:00 am

irishnelo – don’t wait, go ahead and show your support and buy your Velocity rims now – I bet they could use every little bit of cash in their relocation to the US

4. antbikemikeNovember 8, 2011 at 8:02 am

Fantastic news! Rims have been one of the remaining components to build an all USA bike.

5. JTNovember 8, 2011 at 9:07 am

So an Aussie company is bringing manufacturing jobs to the States. Truly an indicator of how screwed our economy is, huh? But seriously, this makes a heap of sense. I’d wager the US is beyond the lion’s share of their market, and friends of mine in Aus have told me that it’s often easier to order from the States than to try to buy the rims locally. Do we know if they’re bringing their aeonautics business here to or has the company been split up? There’s a lot more mo’ to be made with aero firms rather than bicycle rims so my guess is….

6. Shiny FluNovember 8, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Disappointing IMO. Then again I’m Australian.

7. markNovember 8, 2011 at 6:45 pm

the push these days is to offshore your production to a third world country because of cheaper labour rates.

8. TonyNovember 8, 2011 at 10:18 pm

very funny Mark I needed the laugh

9. RexNovember 9, 2011 at 2:09 am

Ah well, I no longer need to be loyal to Velocity, especially seeing it’s easier to buy competitor’s products in the shops here.

10. MMNovember 15, 2011 at 1:59 am

Good riddance to a company who are a bunch of idiots. Glad to see them leaving Australian shores. They neglected the Australian market and treated their customers like absolute tripe. I phoned them for support a few months ago and they told me to shove it based on the fact I rang direct. I won’t buy their products now, nor will I buy them in the future.

11. Velocity Rims to be made in the USA, Grand Rapids HQ | My BlogFebruary 4, 2012 at 1:03 am

[...] urbanvelo.org) This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged News, Wheelsets by aaron. Bookmark the [...]

12. Velocity Rims to be made in the USA, Grand Rapids HQ | DFBS-BAKDecember 19, 2012 at 9:34 am

[...] urbanvelo.org) This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged News, Wheelsets on November 29, 2011 by [...]

13. Velocity Rims to be made in the USA, Grand Rapids HQ | Downtown Ferndale Bike ShopMarch 1, 2013 at 3:01 am

[...] (Source: urbanvelo.org) [...]