Riders on the Frankenstorm

You know how surfers head straight to where the dangerous storms are brewing so they can catch impossible waves? It got me thinking if there are any cyclists that do the same, if not to “catch waves”, then at least to ride some vicious tailwinds. I couldn’t find anything organized as such, but I did find this Meetup group from Allston, PA, that will be getting together on Thursday at 6:30 to “ride the aftermath”. I assume that means view the carnage. If you are in the area and being a voyeur to destruction is your thing, you can hook up with this group to do it together.

About Scott Spitz

Commuting, touring, kid hauling, couriering, mechanic work, sales, advocacy, fixed, free—Scott has had his hands in it all over the years.

View all posts by Scott Spitz →

1. babble onOctober 30, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Riders on the Frankenstorm = Darwinism in action…

2. LGOctober 30, 2012 at 4:43 pm

“Dude I totally crushed some Strava segments with that wicked tailwind”

3. GolightlyOctober 30, 2012 at 5:58 pm

When I lived in Florida I would love when the rain would come and it wouldn’t have lightning. I would go ride paved bike trails for hours and be totally cooled by the rain. Rain is ultra fun on a fixed gear.

4. DanielOctober 30, 2012 at 7:50 pm

A local shop sponsoring a week long ride series just tweeted that there are fewer branches and trees down today after clean up but leaves are covering potholes. And it looks like water is filling them in. Gotta be careful out there or Darwin will catch up with you as Babble On suggests.

5. bergerandfriesOctober 30, 2012 at 10:11 pm

With the subway out in NYC, I think you are going to see a lot of bikes around town: Pay attention to NYC transportation over the next two weeks!

6. BikehoundOctober 31, 2012 at 6:33 am

Hopefully it will be like when the transit workers go on strike and the easiest way to get around is by bike. Except with any luck people will get more into the habit of cycling daily this time around and a lot more will stick at it, even through the winter.

7. Joe PeraltaOctober 31, 2012 at 8:37 am

I hope that bumberchute gives his chin a soft landing.