Pedros Trixie Fixed Gear Multi-Tool

pedros_trixie Pedro’s introduced the Trixie as a minimalist multi-tool specifically for fixed-gear cyclists and the lockring that keeps their drivetrain together. The story is all at the ends, the lockring hook is one-of-a-kind in pocket tools and the 15mm box-end fits the majority of axle nuts out there. Combined they lend each other plenty of leverage to get the job done, the box end wrench is particularly nice in this regard as the lockring hook’s curve fits just-so in your palm. While a properly installed lockring should have minimal risk of coming loose, having a lockring tool at hand is a damned good insurance policy. Made from hardened tool steel and weighing a solid 98g I don’t suspect the Trixie will dull or deform over time, keeping that hook sharp for a good hold. I’d go so far as to say this could be used as a home shop lockring tool without much worry, it’s certainly crafted better than some of the low-end shop tools out there. One could gripe that the 15mm box-end would be more useful open in order to fit pedals as well as axle bolts but I won’t be one of them, even if it would be on my Christmas wish list. And while it does also boast of 8/9/10mm box wrenches, a bottle opener and a 5mm hex wrench, besides the bottle opener the other wrenches are questionable at best; useless at worst.

The 15mm box-end and lockring hook have secured this tool a place in my tool kit for the long haul – it just makes sense to have each on board “just in case.” And the leverage of the Trixie as compared to the stubby 15mm wrench I usually carry is appreciated, especially on bikes where a little extra oomph is required to keep the axle in place. The Trixie is available for about $30 from shops and makes a good addition to most tool kits, whether on the road or back at home.

1. jamesmallonApril 9, 2009 at 9:43 am

A cool looking tool, which I might have bought if I had not already made do with a cheaper pedal/headset wrench: http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp;jsessionid=TcgMJpGhr6mBk2PJfn1rChLvHvxdSL1TblcMKlvh874T51THYQZ2!1091423774!1239286810910?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302693989&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524442619535

I found out that cone wrenches are too flimsy! The headset wrench works well for cheap, and I have not switched my cogs… ever, so do not yet miss the lockring hook.

2. blairApril 9, 2009 at 11:33 am

i just got one of these last week and played with it a while to feel out it’s ups and downs.

the lockring hook is solid — i removed one cog, installed another, and then went back to the original (again, just to test out the hook). plenty of torque and plenty of hook. this and a minute of rotafixing is all you’d need for long-distance fixed touring cog switches.

i’ve used the 15mm end twice now, once to just test it, and again when i skidded through a tire and blew out a few days later. it’s solid and has plenty of torque.

i agree that the 15mm end could be more useful open (and in fact, it would only take a person about 20 minutes with a cutting blade to make it so), but i did find another benefit of it being closed — you can slip it over the end of park’s cpw-7 crank puller … http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=26&item=CWP-7 … and you’ve got all the torque you need to pull your cranks, should the need arise.

i don’t mind the 8, 9, and 10 wrenches cause one of my bikes is an old schwinn conversion and has 10mm bolts all over the front brake — mounting bolt, brake pad bolts, cable cinch bolt.

overall, this tool’s just as at home in the shop as in your bag, in my opinion. nice one, pedro.

3. LeeApril 9, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Bah! My bike has 8mm and 6mm allen bolts on it! And what if I need to tighten my spokes/true my wheel?! Multi-tool my ass – this isn’t even a semi-tool!!!!!1

4. Ghost RiderApril 9, 2009 at 4:43 pm

The 10mm slot cut into the body of the Trixie works well at adjusting nutted chaintugs — just like the Makino Pro Super Tool, but at a fraction of the price! Otherwise the tool is pretty damn ok, too. I’d like to see a few extra mm of length in the allen key for extra wrench-to-frame clearance, but that’s my only gripe so far.

5. bethMay 16, 2009 at 12:24 am

I think for 30 bucks retail this tool could’ve been a lot better — perhaps make the whole tool an inch longer overall for a little more leverage on the cog and lockring — and make more of the bits on it more truly useful. This tool could’ve been so much more than it actually is. I’ll skip it.

6. TimmiApril 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

I fint it nice, but far too heavy.

I understand that for a multi-tool, there are lots of things that could be better or could be added.
    Chances are, you already have an allen keys set, and a small spoke wrench.

I agree the 5mm hex is a bit short, but make it longer and it can snag and start causing damage in bag/pocket.

As for the missing spoke wrench… I’m really not sure I’d like to be swinging a tool that is huge compare to a spoke wrench, to do wheel truing – just put a spoke wrench onto your keyring and problem solved.

It would be nice to see something similar, made from 7075-T6
    (7075 is the hard to machine, but 7075 is an aluminum alloy that is as strong per volume as most steels).

7. NickOctober 31, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I love this tool! It screws right into the water bottle frame-mounts which is practical and cool. I do agree though for this apparatus to be indeed the only on-the-road tool one would need it should have a 4, 6, and 8mm hex and pedal wrench. But, whatever, this tool is badass and comes with a lifetime warrantee! You just can’t beat that for 25 bux. And, does anyone else notice that many/most specifically fixed gear (ugh-”fixie”) tool have a bottle opener on them? Firstly, any adult drinker should be able to pop off a bottle top with any lighter or flat metal edge, for instance the side of the tool itself! Secondly, what is with the association with fixed riders and drinking? Do they really think we sit around all day pounding Pabst Blue Ribbon and talking about bands we loved before they went “mainstream”? :) Put a bong on this thing and then I’m forever content…