Interbike’s Best in Show
We came, trekked the show floor for hours each day, talked specs until our throats went hoarse, and invaded Las Vegas with bikes for a solid week.
In many ways, Vegas is a strange place to hold a bike show, but when you consider how indulgent we cyclists can be, it kind of makes sense. Viva Las Interbike!
It’s great to see companies have fun with their booths at Interbike, especially the ones that bring something interactive, because navigating through the labyrinth that is the Mandalay Bay convention hall can be daunting, and checking out all the latest in bikes and gear is the ultimate tease when you can’t hop on and go for a quick spin.
Here’s what made our Best In Show shortlist from Interbike this year:
- DZR – Most Creative Display – DZR went wild with Rita the bearded dragon, a few goldfish and a furry little tarantula.
- Abus – Most Fun Booth – with a box full of poker chips behind a lock without a key, Abus had people scurrying back and forth to partner booths near and far to pick up the key that might unlock the jackpot.
- Ryders Eyeware – Most Disturbing Display – Is that a dead horse? Uh…rider down!
- Mission Workshop and Acre Supply for Best Recreation of an Outdoor Setting – The smell and feel of actual grass below your feet really made us wonder what the heck we were all doing inside a convention hall.
- Chrome Industries for Best Spot to Chill – As if churning out shoes and custom bags on-site wasn’t enough, the DJ’s, karaoke, beer and plenty of picnic table seating made the Urban Yard the ideal spot to be – a respite amid the clusterfuck of angles that made up the show floor.
- Gary Fisher for Best Dressed – Plaid is rad.