Bike Thief Situation

Here’s an interesting, if not disturbing, video where a cyclist catches a thief red-handed, but is not of the mindset or perhaps ability to take matters into his own hands. So he rightfully expects the nearby professional security guards to intervene, but to no avail.

Via Cyclelicio.us.

About Urban Jeff

I'm about to have a nervous breakdown, my head really hurts. Contact me.

View all posts by Urban Jeff →

1. GabrielJuly 30, 2012 at 2:36 am

This one has been going around for a few years now.

The thief has been outed (at least his handle on the infamous rap forums) though I’m not sure what ever came of any of this.

Honestly, I’m really surprised the guy didn’t get his ass beat, he’s quite lucky. Situations like this, where one has solid evidence, the best bet is to get the hell out of there. He had the theif video taped, the threats video taped and the security video taped doing nothing. At that point, he should have left, contacted the authorities, contacted the mall and contacted the mall security.

2. Ryan P.July 30, 2012 at 6:46 am

This is surreal. I think the only person in this video with any common sense is the cyclist and frankly he is the only one with any brains. The thief is a punk and the security guards are worthless. I’ll be thinking about this one for awhile.

3. J.MillerJuly 30, 2012 at 9:34 pm

I have to agree with Gabriel on this one.Dude should of beat feet.

4. tboneJuly 31, 2012 at 4:06 pm

its obvious why they didn’t do anything.

5. DominicAugust 2, 2012 at 1:49 pm

This video is 2 years old… and ironically takes place in “The most bicycle friendly city in America” – Long Beach, CA

6. I’ve always said security guards at retail stores and at commercial buildings are useless | My Life on BikesAugust 10, 2012 at 3:42 pm

[...] Video found by Via Cyclelicio.us. I grabbed it from UrbanVelo [...]

7. PaulOctober 26, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Although security should have intervened, the guy should’ve shown a little appreciation for the other two guys (red shirt and black shirt), had they not run interference he probably would’ve been assaulted. Since they didn’t see the lock being cut their reluctance is somewhat understandable, but just their presence seemed helpful because it came across like they would break-up a fight. Of course, there’s also the possibility they were part of his bike-theft crew. Still, why didn’t the guy call 911 right away?!